The best time to visit this ancient city of Ephesus is early May so you can enjoy Ephesus Festival as well. Ephesus is the crown jewel of Turkey’s historical sites. Ephesus was founded in Thirteenth century BC, it was a major Aegean Port. It was the capital of Roman Asia in the time of Augustus Caesar.
Ephesus can be reached by taking a boat or by air to Kusadasi and then by bus. The best places to visit in this ancient city are;
- The Virgin Mary’s House
- The Basilica of St.John
- The Archaeological Museum
- The Isa Bey Mosque.
Few quick facts to know about Ephesus are;
- The early philosophers Heraclitus was born in Ephesus and his famous motto that an individual can and can not step into the same river twice?
- The Virgin Mary lived her last years of her life in Turkey, here in a small cottage near Ephesus.
- 7 Christians (Ashab-e-Kehaf) who fled Ephesus is believed to have slept in a cave near Ephesus for 200 years
- before the rich people used the toiletstheir slaves sat and heated toilets’ stone for their masters.
Interesting, isn’t it?
Do include this great city in your travel adventures!